Bocacangrejo is a diving area located in southern Tenerife, with an average depth of 30 meters and a maximum depth of more than 45 meters. It is an area recommended for experienced divers, due to its characteristics.
🧭 The best areas to dive in Bocacangrejo
From the shore, in front of the beach access ramp, you can access this diving area.
It is recommended to head towards the veril, where different marine species can be found.
🐠 What marine species can be seen in the area?
- Angelshark: is a species of shark with the shape of a ray and a protuberance on the head. It is gray or brown in color and is in danger of extinction due to overfishing.
- Vieja: it is a medium-sized fish species, with an oval and flattened body, grayish in color with dark spots and stripes. They usually inhabit rocky areas and feed mainly on crustaceans and mollusks.
- Tembladera: it is a small-sized fish, with an elongated and narrow body, with bright and striking colors. They can be found in shallow waters and feed on small invertebrates.
- Fulas: also known as damselfishes, they are small and active fish, with bright and striking colors. They usually inhabit rocky and coralline areas and feed on small invertebrates.
- Moray eels: these fish have an elongated and snaky body, dark brown in color with lighter spots. They inhabit rocky and coral areas and feed on fish and crustaceans.
- Octopus: it is a cephalopod with a soft body and eight arms, dark brown in color with spots and stripes. They usually inhabit rocky areas and feed on crustaceans and mollusks.
- Choco: is a cephalopod mollusk with a soft, flattened body and an internal shell. They feed on crustaceans and mollusks and inhabit sandy and rocky areas.
- Short barbed reefs: these are sphere-shaped echinoderms, covered with movable and spiny barbs. They feed on algae and small invertebrates and live in rocky areas.
- Anemones: are marine cnidarian animals shaped like flowers, with bright and striking colors. They live in rocky areas and feed on small invertebrates.
- Sponges: they are invertebrate animals with soft and porous bodies that inhabit rocky and coral reefs. They usually filter the water to obtain food.
- Starfish: they are star-shaped echinoderms with flexible arms, bright and striking colors. They usually inhabit rocky areas and feed on small invertebrates.
- Nudibranchs: they are soft-bodied mollusks without shells, with bright colors and diverse shapes. They feed on sponges and other invertebrates and live in rocky and coral areas.
- Spirógrafos: they are tube-shaped marine cnidarian animals, dark brown in color and rough in texture. They usually inhabit rocky areas and feed on small invertebrates.
🤿 Conditions for diving in Boca Cangrejo
The Bocacangrejo area has frequent currents, which can be moderate to strong.
In addition, the predominant bottom is rocky, which can be a challenge for divers. It is advisable to take precautions and be prepared for currents.
📍How to get there?
Bocacangrejo is a hamlet of the municipality of El Rosario. To get to Bocacangrejo in Tenerife by car, take the TF-1 highway and take exit 9 towards Boca Cangrejo. Then, follow the TF-28 road until you reach the Neighborhood Association of Boca Cangrejo. From there, you can access the beach and the diving area. The GPS to reach the diving area is N 28°24.477′ – W 16°18.705′.